Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Being weird is the latest style statement...or so said my weird pal

"You are an odd girl", said my colleague. I didn't react to it. Mostly because I didn't know what to say. Normally, a person would have shrugged in that unaffected manner, waiting to rush to the wash room, and blush all shades of red. Isn't it cool to be odd? Just the other day, I came across a person, a friend to be precise, not just any other person I bumped into without choice in the first class compartment of a local train, but a friend who, I assumed, had a better, less flashy view of things. Now this person was talking about one of her acquaintances who behaved in a rather 'weird' manner. "D, she was soooo weird. And once upon a time I used to like the fact that I was weird…sigh!" I was walking besides her till a second before she said that. I was slightly disheartened, slightly miffed, slightly shocked to hear that from somebody who claimed to be non-judgmental. Anyways, that is not what irked the Queen of England (me, me….look at me), is this fascination of people towards being labeled ‘weird’?

What irritates me is the double standards people sub-consciously garner in them.

If you stare into the void, it is being lost in deep thought. If you find someone else looking blank, he is just trying to look detached and thereby feign self-importance.

If you put on an accent, it comes naturally to you…all the angrezi television I watch, you say (mostly you won’t say it, for that is admitting the presence of an accent). If somebody else slurs more than necessary on an ‘r’, he is ‘such a fake, baba’.

If somebody else makes a blunt statement, he is being rude and obviously, ‘it’s not his business'. Ofcourse, it’s your official business to speak your minds. It falls under your moral, social responsibility area in the KBA chart.

If somebody copies a particular style of dressing/talking/ thinking/…, it’s downright infringement of somebody else's originality. It goes without saying that you were just ‘learning’ from the best.

Wonder, why we underestimate others intelligence.

And then they ask me why I am so cynical in life…because I am the only intelligent being on earth, after my dog of course.

No comments: