Friday, April 13, 2007

Of sour grapes and sweet limes…

Mum is desperately trying to get me married. The more desperate she gets, the more reasons I find to remain single. It's not an illogical effort on staying single. It's a genuine concern on my end, as to not seeing a point in the institution, per se. Show me a valid, logical reason and I might give it a thought.

She says I was hard to please since childhood and I've just grown up to be a difficult person, always demanding for the extraordinary.

Hard to please? Well, show me someone who was pleased by something / someone, above or below his/her capabilities. Show me someone who didn't mind settling for a nincompoop? Show me someone who didn't mind attitude issues in people, didn't mind people who thought they were His/Her gift to mankind?

Demanding? Well, I do demand that the person be down to earth, humane, independent and ambitious. Asking for a good sense of irony and sarcasm might be pulling it too far. That demands a level of intelligence, and sue me but I want my guy to be intelligent, who understands my sarcasms…who understands me…or at least tries to understand me and on failing doesn't just throw his hands up in the air, calling ME 'difficult'.

And to top it all up, you hear awful stories of infidelity (not claiming that it is a-sex-specific), physical/mental harassment, dowry demands and tales with other hackneyed but depressingly true and astonishingly possible themes.

If one still needs reasons to be ‘difficult’ and ‘demanding’, just to be that wee bit careful*, then I’d say that YOU are being difficult and demanding.

If that means I’ll remain single, so be it. As long as I don't get married to a narcissistic, conservative fashionista, who thinks that ten people wearing a suffocating hideous pink choker makes it trendy, who thinks my life is his business, who wants me to do things because it is in vogue, not because it makes me happy, I'd rather be single.

And it's not about sour grapes being out of reach. It's about waiting for the sweet lime.

*Again, haven’t we heard of the utmost careful people, in spite of their cautious approach, being a part of a messy, marriage? At least, he/she tried his/her best to avoid a mishap. Now if the mishap was fascinated by him/her, tough luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, great stuff

Madhu said...

There, now that summarizes the views of a lotta girls in (y)our age, am sure!! :)

Pappaya Pie said...

neha: thank you.

Madhu: trust me, I never thought i was THE only one. Not that the feeling of having company makes me feel any better, still when you know there are other suffering hero(ine)s, it gives a sense of sadistic relief, you know what i mean?!