Thursday, May 17, 2007

Ignored

Fuming!

Extremely angry!

Two of my closest friends, one after the other pissed me off, on different issues.

One, out of the blue, says, “Orkut should be banned.”

“A, that’s too big a statement. Please explain yourself.”

“Well, it’s just one of those things Divya…you know the Koushumbi case , right? I’m sure they met on Orkut. This bloody networking site is just too much. I’m sure they must have met here… moreover; there is no sense of privacy at all.”

Now this friend of mine has no Orkut account. I’m not very surprised and neither am I bothered. She obviously chose to not make her very private life, public in any sense.

So, I tell my friend, “A, to begin with, if we are talking about this particular case then it’s quite clear that Orkut is NOT the culprit. Secondly, if we are talking about privacy, then you CHOSE to not be a part of this very public an affair. Isn’t banning too farfetched a proposition?”

She retorts with a, “Oh don’t give me the democracy BS. It just should be banned. I don’t like it.”

Now, ironic it might seem, but I seemed to like the last statement of hers. It should be banned, for I don’t like it. That is quite deep a line, self-explanatory, as well.

The righteous me, who is a die hard propagandist of democracy, in my own way, got miffed.

After a 70 seconds long version of mumbling pleasantries, we hung up.

Soo, as I login to gmail, I see K, another person I cannot live without. At least, I haven’t tried.

“K, I’m mad. A said this (a brief non-convoluted version of the above mentioned conversation follows). You must know, I, myself am not a die hard fan of Orkut / Yaari / Dostpost and other inane social networking portals. But, there are people who like it….so let them be.”

“Divvy, how does it affect you?”

“What do you mean by how does it affect me? It was not a random line she made in a crowded room. It was a one-to-one conversation. She was talking to ME. What was I to say? ‘Hmm. Ok.’. That’s it?”

Now, this person K, is one of those who’ll totally ignore anything and everything. It doesn’t make a difference if he agrees with something or not. He’ll just ignore it. Worse is, he’ll expect me to ‘take it light’ as well.

So, I decide to get a little too sarcastic.

“Of course, I keep forgetting, I should have said, whatever. So what else?’ Hmph. Why don’t you just go and sleep K? (He is in the States. It was night time for him.)

Then he throws the clincher of sorts.

“Why Divya, you cannot take another point of view, is it?”

OUCH.

I cannot take a point of view? Just because I question yours, means I cannot take one??? Is that what it’s all about when people act all grown-up and decide to just evade issues they do not agree with? When I ended my argument with K, all I was trying to do was get acerbic by acting the way he does. But of course, the point was all lost in trying to make me look like a kid. I know, that’s not his focus in life, but in that moment of annoyance and frustration, it seemed like that.

Tch!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Koush is too tragic

Pappaya Pie said...

Don't mean to sound bitchy, but there are worse horror stories making rounds...this one, for some reason didn't make me wince. It's not apathy....i guess it's just another way of a helpless shrug.

iz said...

Understandable. One cannot blame Orkut for a murder. harassment and violence happens everywhere. But I do have an issue with Orkut. Not as a service but with the kind of people it lets into your life when you haven't even invited it.

Pappaya Pie said...

I know what you mean, iz. it drives me up the wall when i get those 'will u be my fren' / 'can we make frenship' messages....! It's just that, at the risk of sounding like a patient, wise monk, who just got done with selling her Ferrari, how difficult is it to ignore it and move on. Else, just shrug and delete the account.

phatichar said...

Never liked orkut. But yeah, I agree with you - don't like it? don't get into it, or just delete it...

u don't sound like a kid to me at all

Pappaya Pie said...

:) twing...( that's a cookie for you,phatichar).